Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Default Grizzly tools Good or not so good?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Paul,

I would agree with what has been said...realize up front that you will
be investing time and money to have a working machine..any machine.

The route I have taken is to bide my time and buy older American iron
when I find it. While the older equipment may need cleanup and a part
or two, I have been very happy with my choice over the regular Asian
fare. I too have visitied a Grizzly tool showroom (and I strongly
suggest that you do also before investing your money) and was less than
impressed. The downside of buying used American is that you may have to
look at a number of wornout, rusty objects masquerading as tools before
you find the one that has your name on it.

One issue you may want to consider is resale value. I tend to buy for
the long view so I don't hesitate to buy quality. From what I have seen
at auctions, Asian tools like Grizzly bring almost nothing when resold.
The drill press you buy now is seldom the one you will have in five
years...most people upgrade their tools as finances permit. There is a
ready market for used American tools and you will easily recoup your
investment versus dragging last year's Hu Flung Dung special out to the
curb.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you do end buying.

TMT

Resale value is a really good point. Chinastuff has little to
none...basically a little above scrap value unless you find a sucker or
friend who really wants your unit.

On the drill press, unless you are really green, buy more than I think
I need to begin with. Better to have some real iron there for that
future job that needs it than a frustrating bottom of the line model.
For big lathe stuff, you can always contract out that once every couple
of years job but I can think of no one who would enjoy contracting out
simple drilling because their drill press is the flimsy $ 150 floor model.

With regards to "old" iron....one problem is how incredibly cruddy a
mill or lathe can get over years of use. It's a miserable job to try
and scrape chips coolant from 1950 out of every crack and crevice. Some
just leave it and call it "battle scars" but I hate to start with a
machine that's new to me but still has someone elses mess in it.

So the question is...any cleaning secrets out there? I've heard many
speak of elbow grease and solvents but gads that takes forever and isn't
very satisfying. Steam cleaning sounds good but the idea of all that
water on a machine and the potential for rust gets a little scary.
E-bay has a ton of used machines that appear to be repainted. Are they
skimping on the prep and painting over crap (assuming a reputable
dealer) or is there a secret/better way to clean up a really cruddy machine?

Koz (who got about 2/3 of the way done with the elbow grease method and
said "screw it", leaving the rest of the crap)