Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Grizzly tools Good or not so good?

Paul,

I would agree with what has been said...realize up front that you will
be investing time and money to have a working machine..any machine.

The route I have taken is to bide my time and buy older American iron
when I find it. While the older equipment may need cleanup and a part
or two, I have been very happy with my choice over the regular Asian
fare. I too have visitied a Grizzly tool showroom (and I strongly
suggest that you do also before investing your money) and was less than
impressed. The downside of buying used American is that you may have to
look at a number of wornout, rusty objects masquerading as tools before
you find the one that has your name on it.

One issue you may want to consider is resale value. I tend to buy for
the long view so I don't hesitate to buy quality. From what I have seen
at auctions, Asian tools like Grizzly bring almost nothing when resold.
The drill press you buy now is seldom the one you will have in five
years...most people upgrade their tools as finances permit. There is a
ready market for used American tools and you will easily recoup your
investment versus dragging last year's Hu Flung Dung special out to the
curb.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you do end buying.

TMT