Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Walmart

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:03:22 -0600, "greybeard"
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
.. .

Only thing is, it's my nieghbours building the Hondas and Toyotas. And
the "Suzuki" GMs from CAMI.Not the Mexicans building the Neons and
Durangos

Assembling you mean, any of the high cost parts are made in japland by
jenuine japs. The japs are 110% for the japs, and if it's at our expense,
they think it's all the better. Still doesn't change that fact that the
japcrap is all tinplate, except it would be an insult to good tinplate.

The myth of "japanese quality" is just that, a myth. Toyota, lexus, Yugo,
same difference. Except the price.

And you haven't named any vehicle in that grouping that I'd drive to a
scrapyard, I'd have it trucked from the showroom directly to the scrap
before I'd dirty my hands on the wheel. I don't have a neon or durango, my
S-10 came from Janesville, Wisconsin. My next vehicle, if there is a next
one, will be a Dodge, not a rice burner.

Rich

Well, I'm driving an american built Ford with as many imported parts
as the Cambridge built toyotas. (over 80% north american content on
the Toyota). We are in a WORLD economy. Keep as many jobs at home as
you can and still get the quality you want. I'd be driving Toyotas
right now if their resale value wasn't so good. I buy and drive used
cars. Usually 6-10 years old when I buy them, the American crap costs
about half what the Japanese does. My Mystique cost me half what a
used Camry V6 would have with the same mileage and condition - and the
Mystique was more expensive than the Camry new (fully loaded)

Same with my Pontiac Van. A Toyota Van, even with a bad engine, was
worth over $1500, and I bought the Poncho for $500. Replacing the
engine would have cost me virtually the same, either way. Would I
rather have Toyotas? Personally? Yes - definitely.

I've owned both, and my total cost of ownership with the Toyotas has
always been lower than with the Americans, but I paid more of it up
front. Since I drive 'em 'till nobody else wants them, resale value
doesn't mean much to me on disposal.