Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Walmart

greybeard wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

greybeard wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
om...

But you didn't have any problem buying that HF
MIG welder? Where was it made? Probably China.
Is that ok and Japan not? Coulda saved a job
at Miller or Hobart...

Your capability for research is limited, actually, it's italian. Were I in
a business, it would have been a poor choice, but as I only use it
occasionally, not a big deal. And yes, I'll buy from china before jap.
Quality is the same and prices vastly different. By using it to learn how
to weld with one, I did save a very important job, MINE. And a year later I
retired completely. "That's the breaks, boss."

BTW, for my business I only buy made-in-the-US
HP, Fluke or Tektronix test equipment. It's an
easy choice because their equipment is the best.

Were I in a business that would demand I need those, they would also be my
first choice. However, for home use, my old Weston does just fine.
(Complete with wood case and 5kv (I think) probe with compartment for same.)

Weston made damn fine meters. Accurate and
reliable and almost a work of art to look at.
I have a 0-150 volt AC Weston on my desk
connected to the line. Gives me a nice feeling
to look over at an analog meter and see 117
volts.

Show me a US car company that will build me a
AWD station wagon with a 5-speed transmission,
quiet and torquey opposed 4-cylinder engine
that will go 120,000 miles with no more than
scheduled maintainance for $24,000 and I'll
buy it.

Most US manufacturers don't want to get into niche markets and have to
compete with the bull**** ads sub(human)aru puts out. (I wish to hell
they'd deport that smelly aussie, or hang him, makes little difference.)
(NOt that all aussies are smelly, just that particular smirking lying
sonofabitch.)

I don't like the guy either and Subaru
hasn't used him for years. I don't watch
much tv, but my perception is that Subaru
runs about one tenth of the ad time that
the major carmakers do. I know that it
seems like there's about 25 minutes of
car and truck commercials on any major-
league sports event, none of them Subaru.