PoP

Default New Electrical Regs

There's a bit of confusion about the new electrical regs which kick
into gear from next April, hopefully someone knowledgeable can fire
answers to the following questions.

I understand that the new regs will imply that any electrical work
undertaken will require a certificate to be issued. Question is, who
is going to be accepted as qualified to issue these certificates?

Someone I know thinks that only NICEIC members will be able to do this
job. And a conflicting argument is that you can issue certificates if
you have attended college and acquired C&G2391 (without needing to be
NICEIC certified) - part of the entrance qualifications for NICEIC is
C&G2391. Anyone know the definitive answer about whether NICEIC is an
absolute requirement before writing certificates?

A second question is with respect to the test gear that needs to be
acquired to perform the tests required to issue a certificate. The two
models which seem appropriate are the Robin KTS1610 and KTS1620, which
can be seen on this page:

http://www.alpha-electronics.com/offers.asp

Both test for loop impedance, RCD, insulation, continuity and voltage
measurement. The KTS1620 adds PSC. I'm ignoring the KTS1630 as it
seems to be the canines dangly bits in terms of measuring things you
didn't know you could measure.

Question is - is the KTS1610 (without PSC) suitable for testing to
issue a certificate for an installation?

PoP