Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I invented a new tool (maybe)

Ignoramus9292 wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:03:24 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:
The other day I wanted to bend some 3/16 copper tubing to a 1/4"
radius. I don't have a tubing bender so I turned down the end of an
aluminum bar to 1/2" and I parted it off to a thickness of about .190".
I laid the tube in my milling machine vise, placed the disk down on top
and tightened the vise, then I bent the tube around the disk to the
desired angle. The vise jaws kept the tube from flattening.
one of the advantages is that disks can be quickly made to handle a
wide range of radii and tube sizes.
Has anyone heard of this before? Should I call a patent attorney? (80)

Engineman

It's too late for a patent, you already released the information on a public
forum. Nice idea, though.

I am sorry if I am a latecomer to this thread and say something that
was said already, but the fact thet he publicised his own idea does
not utomatically make it not patentable. What is important is that the
invention is original, and that is in no way harmed by publication. In
fact, a documented publication makes it easier to claim authorship.

I was thinking the same thing.

What better way to document something than putting it in the permanent
Google archives?

Or course it can also get your idea stolen a lot easier, and also make
it easier for unscrupulous individuals to study the best way to win a
patent infringment case against you, or improve on *your* idea.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.