Mike Henry

Default Clausing 8540 Horiz Mill info request

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:48:26 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Mike Henry writes:

The manual for my 5840

[8540]

shows a cone lock nut, stepped spacer, single
row ball bearing (with 2 shields) bearing holder and then a cover for
the hydraulic housing. On the other side of the housing (cylinder?),
there is a another single row ball bearing (2 shields again) and a
washer, both of which appear to fit inside the hub on the slidiing
pulley. I don't see any of your 5/8" tubular spacers, but Clausing
may have made revisions to the design over the years. This is for
mills with S/Ns from 80200 to 801282 - is your S/N in that range?

[You mean 800200 to 801282 ?]

Wow, mine is S/N 800254. Is that really old?

I didn't really take it apart. I was just trying to compare it to

Gunner's.
Maybe I have all the parts you describe.

Mine is # 800986

Good, then the drawing I have applies to your mill.

The square block is the hydraulic cylinder with the hose sticking out
of the top. Behind this block (away from the machine) is those three
spacers, then a round disk (perhaps the bearings), and then the nylock
nut. I suspect that two of the spacers are on anti-rotation dowels,
and the center one is over the shaft that runs through the block and
connects to the sliding pulley. They are located at 12 and 6 O clock.
Does the print show sliding dowels at those locations?

That doesn't sound like what the darwing shows, but I ma be
misunderstanding. I'm emailing you a scan of the drawing in PDF format.
Please let me know if you get it - I didn't get a reply to a previous email
on this subject. If you don't get this email I'll upload the scan to the
dropbox.

Mike

I guess Im simply gonna have to take the thing apart and see what
happens with the spacers removed.

Gunner

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather,
because it is easier to harrass rich women
than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker