Posted to uk.d-i-y
ukdiyuser

Default Electricity Export Regulations

I'm considering installing a Micro-CHP central heating boiler such as
the AC Whispergen, connected to my domestic electricity supply. I
won't use all the electricity generated at the time the m-chp boiler
generates it, so I will be exporting the excess to the UK grid. Can
anybody tell me the current regulations regarding electricity export,
and Micro-CHP installation in general? Based on web research, my best
guess at the moment is:

- I can install the m-chp boiler for my central heating as long as I
use a Corgi installer for all gas work and the remainder of the heating
system meets the Part L building regulations.

- I'm allowed to connect it to the grid without requiring
authorisation, as long as the equipment conforms to grid connection
standard 'G83/1' and I inform my electricity supplier

- There appears to be no requirement for me to have any
modified/additional metering installed, so any measurement of
electricity export is initially down to my current meter. (This is a
traditional electro-mechanical meter which I think will just run
backwards when exporting.)

- My supplier may decide to install alternative metering, but if they
do then they need to pay for the new meter and the meter installation
costs.

By the way, I realise I could get Powergen to handle the whole thing
with their Whispergen service, but I'm exploring the DIY route first,
not least because I don't want to be tied in to a particular
gas/electricity supplier or m-chp boiler.