Posted to rec.woodworking
Karl B

Default Lay out a sine curve?

wrote in
oups.com:

I'm making a wine rack:

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projec...k/winerack.htm

and I was wondering how to lay out that sine curve on the piece of
wood to cut it. At first I thought of using a disk of some sort, but
that would yield a series of half-circles. If I can't finger this one
out, that's probably what I'll wind up doing, but I was wondering if
y'all had done something like this.

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

In the days before computers and fancy stuff, we used nails, sheet metal
or thin wood. Layout the points of the peaks and valleys (or wave points
if you prefer) and spot a 4d nail at the point. Take the sheet metal (
1" wide x 20 - 24 ga. ) and weave it through the nails. Trace the
pattern and now you know the rest of the story.