Mike Henry

Default Clausing 8540 Horiz Mill info request

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:04:47 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

snip

If one of you 8540 owners gets a chance, would you look at your bottom
pully..and on the outboard end of the piston there is a big round
washer with a nylock nut on it. Under the big round washer..are there
three , 5/8" diam tubular spacers that prevent the pully from opening
up past a certain point? The belt will not travel into the center of
that pully, more than about 1/2 way, with those spacers there. They
prevent the pully gap from getting any bigger.

The manual for my 5840 shows a cone lock nut, stepped spacer, single row
ball bearing (with 2 shields) bearing holder and then a cover for the
hydraulic housing. On the other side of the housing (cylinder?), there is a
another single row ball bearing (2 shields again) and a washer, both of
which appear to fit inside the hub on the slidiing pulley. I don't see any
of your 5/8" tubular spacers, but Clausing may have made revisions to the
design over the years. This is for mills with S/Ns from 80200 to 801282 -
is your S/N in that range?

Mike

snip