Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Guess the cause of the accident?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:21:31 -0800, wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:00:02 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike
Martin quickly quoth:

I put a coffee can lid into the bone of my right index fingertip a
couple weeks ago and instead of going to get 10-12 stitches (for
"only" $1,000) at the ER, I cleaned and butterflied it together with

****, that's a bargin! I had medical insurance and STILL paid almost
$1000 US for 4 damned stitches in my knuckle when I busted it open a few
years back... yeah yeah, I was sword fighting but I was wearing ARMOUR!
The best part is, a med student did it and I still paid the Doctor to
look at her work, AND she left me with bad scarring.

I think you missed the point, Mike. I didn't GO to the ER.
I fixed it myself with a bandaid...for $1,000 less.

That said, I should probably find needles and suture on Ebay.
The trick is preparedness: when you have this stuff handy, the bad
deeds never happen. They're warded off.

OraGel works pretty well for this sort of thing. As does Numbzit,
both of which are for tooth aches. Put a bit in the wound and wait for
a few minutes before sewing it up.

Sealed and sterile sutures can be purchased on Ebay occasionally for
about $3-5, or about $6 from medical supply companies. Tell em its for
veternary care of your livestock. Barbed wire ya know.

Hemostats are handy for this. Sterilized in alcahol of course.

But..unless the wound is huge and wide open..most of the time,
butterflys work pretty good, and a smidge of super glue does too.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3