Gunner

Default Clausing 8540 Horiz Mill info request

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:04:47 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:06:51 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Gunner writes:

Say...does the manual say whats the proper procedure for lifting the
mill? Can I simply lanyard the two overarm supports and lift or do I
need to get a forklift and do it that way?

Im pondering the best way to do this without damaging anything..and
doubly gun shy since dropping the pantograph....shudder

See my page:

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

MANY thanks! That answered the questions very well.

Off to unload the mill..and will follow your instructions..including
the warnings.

Sucess! I pulled the back cover off, retracted the over arms,
lanyarded them well, hoisted it up and out, and set it on my pallet
jack, which then moved it into my shop. I took a few moments to figure
out the controls, the back gear, removed the arbor and cleaned and
lubed everything, then applied power, and turned the old gal on.

Voila! Runs very quiet, though the variable drive is not operating
through the full range. Looking at the back of the lower variable
speed pully..it appears that someone may have applied three tubular
spaces to the back of the variable speed pully to prevent the pully
from ever going lower than about half speed. This is weird, or those
spacers are original and something else is buggered up.

If one of you 8540 owners gets a chance, would you look at your bottom
pully..and on the outboard end of the piston there is a big round
washer with a nylock nut on it. Under the big round washer..are there
three , 5/8" diam tubular spacers that prevent the pully from opening
up past a certain point? The belt will not travel into the center of
that pully, more than about 1/2 way, with those spacers there. They
prevent the pully gap from getting any bigger.

Power feed and back gear all work very well, and after a bit of
lubrication all the controls are free and smooth. I fired up a 4"
staggered tooth cutter and cut a slot in a piece of P-20 steel, while
in back gear. No chatter, but the spindle wont slow down enough for
proper speeds/feeds. I cranked it out of back gear, stuck in a block
of alum, ran the spindle at 2000 rpm, and feed of 13" in/min and made
a really nifty snow storm of shiny chips.

I had to pull the 4" milling vise off my Index mill, as the Clausing
didnt come with a vise, but it trammed in perfectly in all axis.
Checking the table itself, I had about .002 out of parallel in the
full 15" inches, but the gibscrews were left a bit loose, and front to
back was dead nuts in slope. I found that all my 30 taper tooling,
end mill holders, shell mill holders etc etc all fit as well. I read
on the Yahoo Clausing group some comments about other than Clausing 30
taper stuff not fitting..but everything, from the Gorton QC stuff to
the imported stuff fit perfectly.

I think Ive got a keeper here...G

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..