R W

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

Andrew McKay wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 02:20:21 +0100, zaax wrote:

If you wind 1 mile of cable in your garage (as someone did) you can
steal the electricity.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me! I have the benefit of high
voltage cables running over my home and potentially inflicting harm on
my family, with free electricity. Or not have the high voltage cables
and have to pay for electricity.

They only harm your family if they decide to go and climb them (or fly
kite into them etc).

The only reasonably agreed theory behind power lines causing cancer is
that they can cause a static charge in the air around them, this air
then attracts potentially carcinogenic particles from vehicle exhausts
etc which then "hang around" in the air near the lines rather than
falling to the ground, meaning you are more likely to breathe them in.