Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Default would you recommend 14" saws over 10" saws ?

pogo wrote:

What Anthony said...only louder.
though!). The same goes for our jump saws that we use to cut AL tubing
on a daily basis.

Thanks for some more good info! What is a "jump saw" ?

One example at http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0549

Blade jumps straight up through the table into the work, usually by
pressing a foot pedal. Really fast when you are making cut after cut on
material. It only does straight 90 degree cuts though (in 99% of cases).

I've seen similar used in the wood products industry to high-grade stock
to be end joined later. They were making about 150 cuts a minute by
hand and without blade guards. The operator had to decide where to cut
and make the cut (hand on each side of the blade holding the stock down)
at the rate of 2 to 3 per second. It was a little surprising that they
still had fingers.

Koz