Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Silly post regarding unexpected wood aromas

I remember the smell of oak in the local sawmill when I grew up
Holland, native oaks are all in the white oak group, and it was a
pleasant smell, also the smell of ash in the wheelwrights shop across
the street, then the time I was turning a piece of wood that smelled
like I was shaking cinnamon out, don't know what wood it was, as what
happened another time when I had turned a chunk of wood from my buddy's
sawmill, it smelled so bad, and at first I didn't realize it, but I was
sure that I had stepped in some cats~&*t, stopped the lathe and looked
my boots all over then started examining the shavings when it hit me,
it was the wood, never have had any wood that smelled that bad, before
or after, it was tropical but again the name of the species I don't
recall if I ever knew.
The catalpa wood smells like paint thinner, and black cherry like
almonds, I don't like the smell of Manitoba maple or American elm but I
find the smell of Siberian elm not as bad, common Juniper is nice and
lingers for a while even when the wood is dry, where most other woods
loose their smell, luckily.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum22.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo