Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Default would you recommend 14" saws over 10" saws ?

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

I use a fair amount of 80-20 type extrusion (usually Item), and rarely
cut it myself. Though you can make clean, accurate cuts with the
methods described, I find it's well worth doing an accurate design and
having the factory do the cutting. Item charges $1.50/cut, with no
premium on the cost of the material. At $20-$40/meter for the
extrusion, I prefer to let the vendor make the mistakes.

Ned,
That works fine if you are building from scratch new. Doesn't work so
well when you are adapting to a set of old machines that were hand-built
to begin with, or maybe have been modified 100 times over the years.
We are set-up to do this in-house. Mill for the anchors, saw for the
extrusion, etc.
At 100+ cuts a day...that $1.50/cut adds up considerably in short order.
Not to mention the lead time involved.

--
Anthony

better idiots.