Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Electric Shock ?

In article ,
default wrote:
I was on line looking for UK electrical requirements. They seem to be
the same as here in the states. Three wires with a hot neutral and
ground . . . only difference I saw was in the wiring of electrical
light switches they don't show the ground going to the switch -
perhaps that was an oversimplification.

Line neutral and earth in the UK. And neutral and earth are connected
together at some point - but not at the actual appliance. Either the
nearest substation or where the supply comes into the house - in some
cases. So only the line is 'hot' although in practice there may be a small
potential between neutral and earth in some installations.

With lighting, the neutral doesn't usually go to the switch enclosure, but
the earth does.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.