Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

Default Joining Worktops

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:21:19 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Chris Cowley wrote:

Would I be a complete spaz to try cutting it with my cheap 900W 1/4"
router from Wickes then?

Yes.

Oh. Bugger.

I hadn't really factored-in buying a big router
as I hardly ever use the thing, so unless my 900W is likely to do a
reasonable job, I may just have to give up on the jig idea and try to
get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Or borrow/hire a bigger router?

Always an option, I suppose. But given that it's probably 50/50 as to
whether I muck the entire job up and have to buy new worktops anyway,
getting someone in who does this on a daily basis is starting to sound
like an attractive proposition. One of the worktops I'd be jointing has
to fit-in snugly around a chimney breast too, and I'm pretty sure the
corner in question is not going to be bang-on 90deg, so it's all
starting to sound like a load of old hassle.

I also have one of those curved 90deg metal joining strips, but they
look a bit pants if you ask me. I'd prefer a proper join.

I'd be amazed if you could cut a worktop with that. Can you even get
1/4" bits that are long enough?

Dunno, I haven't got as far as buying a suitable bit yet. I guess not,
from what you've said!

Ta for the input, sounds like you may have saved me shelling out for a
second set of worktops.

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?
--
Chris Cowley