Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

Default Joining Worktops

I've never joined a kitchen worktop before. My nice shiny new worktop
router jig arrived the other day and the box says that a 1600W router
should be used.

Would I be a complete spaz to try cutting it with my cheap 900W 1/4"
router from Wickes then? I hadn't really factored-in buying a big router
as I hardly ever use the thing, so unless my 900W is likely to do a
reasonable job, I may just have to give up on the jig idea and try to
get someone in who knows what they're doing.

My 900W beastie has been fine for cutting decoritive effects into MDF,
and I assumed a big lump of chipboard wouldn't present it with any
problems.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Chris Cowley wrote:

Would I be a complete spaz to try cutting it with my cheap 900W 1/4"
router from Wickes then?

Yes.

I hadn't really factored-in buying a big router
as I hardly ever use the thing, so unless my 900W is likely to do a
reasonable job, I may just have to give up on the jig idea and try to
get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Or borrow/hire a bigger router?

My 900W beastie has been fine for cutting decoritive effects into MDF,
and I assumed a big lump of chipboard wouldn't present it with any
problems.

I'd be amazed if you could cut a worktop with that. Can you even get
1/4" bits that are long enough?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:21:19 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Chris Cowley wrote:

Would I be a complete spaz to try cutting it with my cheap 900W 1/4"
router from Wickes then?

Yes.

Oh. Bugger.

I hadn't really factored-in buying a big router
as I hardly ever use the thing, so unless my 900W is likely to do a
reasonable job, I may just have to give up on the jig idea and try to
get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Or borrow/hire a bigger router?

Always an option, I suppose. But given that it's probably 50/50 as to
whether I muck the entire job up and have to buy new worktops anyway,
getting someone in who does this on a daily basis is starting to sound
like an attractive proposition. One of the worktops I'd be jointing has
to fit-in snugly around a chimney breast too, and I'm pretty sure the
corner in question is not going to be bang-on 90deg, so it's all
starting to sound like a load of old hassle.

I also have one of those curved 90deg metal joining strips, but they
look a bit pants if you ask me. I'd prefer a proper join.

I'd be amazed if you could cut a worktop with that. Can you even get
1/4" bits that are long enough?

Dunno, I haven't got as far as buying a suitable bit yet. I guess not,
from what you've said!

Ta for the input, sounds like you may have saved me shelling out for a
second set of worktops.

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:58:28 +0000, Chris Cowley
wrote:

I've never joined a kitchen worktop before. My nice shiny new worktop
router jig arrived the other day and the box says that a 1600W router
should be used.

Would I be a complete spaz to try cutting it with my cheap 900W 1/4"
router from Wickes then?

Well...... I could be kind and say that this really isn't a good idea,
but a 6.35mm router is not going to do this job.

- You would have problems in finding a long enough bit - I am not sure
that they even exist - and if they do, the bit will chatter and has a
high chance of breaking and exiting the work area at high velocity.

I hadn't really factored-in buying a big router
as I hardly ever use the thing, so unless my 900W is likely to do a
reasonable job, I may just have to give up on the jig idea and try to
get someone in who knows what they're doing.

My 900W beastie has been fine for cutting decoritive effects into MDF,
and I assumed a big lump of chipboard wouldn't present it with any
problems.

This is definitely a 12.7mm router job. While you can take small
cuts with a smaller router, as mentioned, the depth will be an issue.
The bit is likely to chatter and vibrate horribly.

There are really three choices.

- Go for a reasonable 12.7mm router. This really begins with
something like the Freud at around £160. The cheap Chinese ones at
DIY stores and Argos etc. for £80 or less, are not up to this type of
work if you want a proper result.
You will also need to buy a worktop cutting bit. Costs for a
reasonable CMT or Freud one aout £20

Advantage is that you will have a nice router for other jobs.

- Rent the above

- Get somebody to do the job and return the jig for a refund.

Personally, I would and did buy the router.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Cowley wrote:

My 900W beastie has been fine for cutting decoritive effects into MDF,
and I assumed a big lump of chipboard wouldn't present it with any
problems.

900W a beastie? I wonder what you'd call a 2000W jobbie. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Chris Cowley wrote:

[...]

That's understating it. They're crap - and that's being kind.

Are you going to tile the sides of the chimney breast?

If so, you can get away with a few mm of out-of-square with the
cutting of the worktop.

I'd be amazed if you could cut a worktop with that. Can you even get
1/4" bits that are long enough?

Dunno, I haven't got as far as buying a suitable bit yet. I guess not,
from what you've said!

Ta for the input, sounds like you may have saved me shelling out for a
second set of worktops.

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?

Return or Ebay?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:48:10 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Advantage is that you will have a nice router for other jobs.

- Rent the above

- Get somebody to do the job and return the jig for a refund.

Personally, I would and did buy the router.

Thanks, I will compare the cost of hiring one against the
cost/availability of getting someone in but there's no point in me
shelling out 160 quid for a 1/2" router as I would probably never use it
again. I've used my 1/4" one about twice in the last 3 or 4 years (to
make some rather spiffy-looking cupboards) and it is man enough for any
of the routing jobs I'm ever likely to tackle other than worktops. And
I'm not planning on installing another kitchen for at least 10 more
years!

--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Cowley wrote:

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?

Nah! you can make them with some perspex sheet. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:06:46 +0000, Chris Cowley
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:48:10 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Advantage is that you will have a nice router for other jobs.

- Rent the above

- Get somebody to do the job and return the jig for a refund.

Personally, I would and did buy the router.

Thanks, I will compare the cost of hiring one against the
cost/availability of getting someone in but there's no point in me
shelling out 160 quid for a 1/2" router as I would probably never use it
again. I've used my 1/4" one about twice in the last 3 or 4 years (to
make some rather spiffy-looking cupboards) and it is man enough for any
of the routing jobs I'm ever likely to tackle other than worktops. And
I'm not planning on installing another kitchen for at least 10 more
years!

OK, so given all of this, getting a person to do it is likely to be
the most cost effective.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

OK, so given all of this, getting a person to do it is likely to be
the most cost effective.

Worth mentioning that many hire shops do a 'worktop pack', with router,
bits and jig. This can be a good approach for one-off users.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:29:44 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

OK, so given all of this, getting a person to do it is likely to be
the most cost effective.

Worth mentioning that many hire shops do a 'worktop pack', with router,
bits and jig. This can be a good approach for one-off users.

Might be worth me trying to remember that for next time. Although, in
10+ years time I don't doubt that one will need to be a registered
member of a trade body to legally fit a kitchen worktop, and it will be
subject to building control regulations.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

wrote:

I also have one of those curved 90deg metal joining strips, but they
look a bit pants if you ask me. I'd prefer a proper join.

That's understating it. They're crap - and that's being kind.

I concur completely. I ordered it with the worktops as a special "get
out of jail free" option, but I don't think I could bring myself to
actually use it. SWMBO would probably tear me a new orifice, too.

Are you going to tile the sides of the chimney breast?

If so, you can get away with a few mm of out-of-square with the
cutting of the worktop.

I will be tiling the sides of the of the chimney breast (perpendicular
to the wall) but not the front face. I think I could manage to do a fine
job of this part to be honest, but if I'm going to get a member of the
worktopisti in to do the join, then I will probably leave it for him to
do. Not very in-keeping with the DIY ethos, I know, but sometimes you
just have to know when to step back, I think!

Return or Ebay?

I will probably try returning it, but if that fails then it can go in
the garage or loft with all the other bits of stuff that I keep "just in
case"...
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:09:32 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Chris Cowley wrote:

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?

Nah! you can make them with some perspex sheet. ;-)

You can if you have a "worktop router jig" jig (or you could presumably
make one of those yourself too if you have a "worktop router jig jig"
jig).
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote:

OK, so given all of this, getting a person to do it is likely to be
the most cost effective.

Worth mentioning that many hire shops do a 'worktop pack', with router,
bits and jig. This can be a good approach for one-off users.

Might be worth me trying to remember that for next time. Although, in
10+ years time I don't doubt that one will need to be a registered
member of a trade body to legally fit a kitchen worktop, and it will be
subject to building control regulations.

Yebbut, will you pay attention to it any more then than now?

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

I suppose that (jag++)++ will be retired by then. The Lord be
praised.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

wrote:

Might be worth me trying to remember that for next time. Although, in
10+ years time I don't doubt that one will need to be a registered
member of a trade body to legally fit a kitchen worktop, and it will be
subject to building control regulations.

Yebbut, will you pay attention to it any more then than now?

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

There won't be any choice - they will change the sealant colours and
lock you up and throw away the key when you try to sell your house if
you've used the new-coloured sealant without getting a completion cert.

--
Chris Cowley

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Antony

Another option is to use your wimpy router, but not all the way
through. Even with a 2000w router, I'm not convinced it's best practice
to do it all in one cut. You could do it all with the router in about
10 passes going progressively deeper (if you can find a long enough
1/4" bit. Alternatively, you could do a shallow cut with the router
(it's the laminate you want cut neatly) and then do the rest with a
jigsaw. You could then tidy up the cut with either the router or a
rasp, or whatever. The router would have a much easier time as it's
only having to cut half the material, and the waste won't clog up and
overheat the bit.

-Antony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

Yebbut, will you pay attention to it any more then than now?

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered as
the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without permission?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Chris Cowley wrote:

Anyone want to buy an unused worktop jig then!?

Nah! you can make them with some perspex sheet. ;-)

You can if you have a "worktop router jig" jig (or you could
presumably make one of those yourself too if you have a "worktop
router jig jig" jig).

I borrowed a trend one, then just stuck it over the perspex and replicated
its cutouts. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:42 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Yebbut, will you pay attention to it any more then than now?

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered as
the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without permission?

No, it's not just you. There seems to be a strange obsession amongst
many people with trying to attain the utterly impossible goal of zero
risk in all things.

It will have to get worse before it gets better, I fear. I just hope I
am still around to witness the "gets better" part.

"More people injure themselves every year using
claw-hammers than are injured by faulty electrical
installations. Therefore I propose that the use of
claw-hammers should be tightly regulated to minimise
the risks to the public of damaging their thumbs."

I think that is the sort of level that we will ultimately have to stoop
to before significant numbers of people start thinking, "actually, this
is all getting a bit silly."
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Its usually a lump hammer(aptly named, dont you think) in my case. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:42 +0000 Grunff wrote :
Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered
as the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without
permission?

It's an ongoing process. Decade on decade new controls are introduced
but almost never rescinded. Part of it is a desire to control, part of
it is that virtually every regulation is there for good reason, though
as with Part P a critical analysis may show that the cost/benefit case
is totally unsustainable. The politician's fear is that if they remove
a control one week and something related happens the next week the
Daily Mail will tear them to pieces for doing so. I mean Jenny Tonge
MP's daughter wouldn't have been electrocuted if we'd had Part P would
she?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Cowley wrote:
Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

"More people injure themselves every year using
claw-hammers than are injured by faulty electrical
installations. Therefore I propose that the use of
claw-hammers should be tightly regulated to minimise
the risks to the public of damaging their thumbs."

I think that is the sort of level that we will ultimately have to
stoop to before significant numbers of people start thinking,
"actually, this is all getting a bit silly."

Its usually a lump hammer(aptly named, dont you think) in my case. ;-)

Nah, club hammers are easy to use. It's using a claw hammer on a chisel
[1] without a hand guard that hurts.

Chip, chip. Ow ; Chip Chip ... etc

HTH

Paul.

[1] Usually cos it's downstairs, or misplaced etc ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Antony wrote:
Another option is to use your wimpy router, but not all the way
through. Even with a 2000w router, I'm not convinced it's best practice
to do it all in one cut. You could do it all with the router in about
10 passes going progressively deeper (if you can find a long enough
1/4" bit.

The pro who did my worktop recently, using a large Makita router, used
that method (I've never done it myself, or even seen it done, before)
and he certainly made an excellent job of it.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Chris Cowley wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:42 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered as
the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without permission?

No, it's not just you. There seems to be a strange obsession amongst
many people with trying to attain the utterly impossible goal of zero
risk in all things.

It will have to get worse before it gets better, I fear. I just hope I
am still around to witness the "gets better" part.

"More people injure themselves every year using
claw-hammers than are injured by faulty electrical
installations. Therefore I propose that the use of
claw-hammers should be tightly regulated to minimise
the risks to the public of damaging their thumbs."

According to a report I heard on local radio today, more people now get
hurt by laminate floors than by chip pans.

So hopefully, at least that will mean laminate floors get banned soon...

david
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell

wrote:

[...]

Don't know where in the country you live but this guy has a good reputation
and posts here occasionally.
http://www.kitchenman.co.uk/

I've never personally used him

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message , Lobster
writes
the risks to the public of damaging their thumbs."

According to a report I heard on local radio today, more people now get
hurt by laminate floors than by chip pans.

So hopefully, at least that will mean laminate floors get banned soon...

david

Yehbut, there's a load of people (inc local fire brigade) in the
North-East running round at this very minute trying to get traditional
chip pans banned following a recent house fire & death case.

--
steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:50:06 +0000, Steven Briggs
wrote:

In message , Lobster
writes
the risks to the public of damaging their thumbs."

According to a report I heard on local radio today, more people now get
hurt by laminate floors than by chip pans.

So hopefully, at least that will mean laminate floors get banned soon...

david

Yehbut, there's a load of people (inc local fire brigade) in the
North-East running round at this very minute trying to get traditional
chip pans banned following a recent house fire & death case.

Yes, but it's near Scotland and they have deep fried pizzas and Mars
bars there.

It's probably best to let nature run its course since they have a
speech impediment anyway.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:10:31 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:42 +0000 Grunff wrote :
Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered
as the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without
permission?

It's an ongoing process. Decade on decade new controls are introduced
but almost never rescinded. Part of it is a desire to control, part of
it is that virtually every regulation is there for good reason, though
as with Part P a critical analysis may show that the cost/benefit case
is totally unsustainable. The politician's fear is that if they remove
a control one week and something related happens the next week the
Daily Mail will tear them to pieces for doing so. I mean Jenny Tonge
MP's daughter wouldn't have been electrocuted if we'd had Part P would
she?

Definitely not, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:42 +0000 Grunff wrote :
Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered
as the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without
permission?

It's an ongoing process. Decade on decade new controls are introduced
but almost never rescinded. Part of it is a desire to control, part of
it is that virtually every regulation is there for good reason, though
as with Part P a critical analysis may show that the cost/benefit case
is totally unsustainable. The politician's fear is that if they remove
a control one week and something related happens the next week the
Daily Mail will tear them to pieces for doing so. I mean Jenny Tonge
MP's daughter wouldn't have been electrocuted if we'd had Part P would
she?

Part P is not really about safety, is it? It's to get more people to
use tradespersons and not DIY so that Gordon gets more tax.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Andy Hall wrote:

Yebbut, will you pay attention to it any more then than now?

F*cking (mumble) jobsworths........

Is it just me, or does it seem like this decade will be remembered as
the decade when we lost the freedom to do many things without permission?

No that started on the 1st January 1973.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Antony wrote:

Another option is to use your wimpy router, but not all the way
through. Even with a 2000w router, I'm not convinced it's best practice
to do it all in one cut. You could do it all with the router in about

It isn't - you are supposed to do multiple passes even with a big
router. About 10mm per pass is about the limit.

--
Cheers,

John.

(Wooden) kitchen worktops Nottingham Jon UK diy 15 April 14th 06 02:15 PM
Joining kitchen worktops Dave UK diy 6 July 6th 05 11:53 PM
IKEA base units wont fit other stores worktops 8( tez UK diy 6 December 13th 04 12:28 AM
Cutting Worktops John UK diy 10 May 8th 04 08:37 AM
Stone worktops in kitchens Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 12 October 1st 03 08:20 AM