Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Default would you recommend 14" saws over 10" saws ?

"pogo" wrote in
:

I was "window shopping" today and noticed some very affordable 10"
mitre saws at Sears(Craftsman) and also Home Depot (Rigid & Ryobi).
Would you recommend the 14" ones over the smaller blade ones for any
reason? All of the models I looked at had 15 amp motors.

I wonder if the larger blades might last longer and therefore be worth
the extra investment both in a machine and the blade itself ?

I can see myself making maybe 50 to 100 cuts of the 8020 extrusions in
the near future. If I get to the point of making more then I would be
willing to invest in a more expensive saw if there is good
compensation for the extra expense. I would also very likely be using
it for some moulding & trim work now and then.

I definately recommend the 12" or 14".
The reason for us to use the 12" is we cut up to the 40-8016 size 80/20.
A 12" saw will do this, a 10" will not.
The blade we use is McMaster Carr #6910A58, $75.54, 60 Tooth with a 12°
hook angle. We have been on the same blade, under heavy daily use, (By
heavy daily use, I am talking about 80-100 cuts a day minimum, in
extrusion, or solid aluminum bar stock/squares/rounds or tubing.) for
over 6 months. It is beginning to show some wear and aluminum build-up on
the edges though. But it has a lot of cut time on it.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email