Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool Terms

Try this page (assuming that it will work after I close my
browser):

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=4713402

(It appears to work.)

Scroll down until you see the images. You should see a square
collet block, a hexagonal collet block, two threaded rings for closing
collets (there are no collets there, you will need to buy at least the
sizes which you expect to use), and a hand lever assembly for quickly
tightening and releasing the collets instead of having to tighten the
rings more slowly.

Ok. So the rings serve to lock the collets into the blocks, which are
held by the vise. I just have to figure out what size of 2 Flute end
mills I'll need and how best to "chuck" them.(I'll have to also search
for some 1/4" ball-end mills while I'm at it).

You can clamp the workpiece in a collet in the square block,
clamp the block in the vise on the milling attachment. and mill a flat
on the workpiece. You then loosen the vise, rotate the collet block one
flat, and mill the next flat. Repeat until you have all four sides.

Are there five sided collets?(Everything seems to jump from four to
six).

The hexagonal block can be used to make hexagonal shapes (e.g.
bolt heads or nuts), or three-sided shapes. In the same way, the square
one can be used to make a simple pair of flats, instead of a square, if
that is what is needed.

I went with square because I assume it would be easier to make a square
hole in a Delrin disk to allow it to fit over/on a square rod.

This is one of the things which you *need* the MSC catalog for.
You could look it up in the index, and turn to the proper page, to at
least see what the blocks look like. That is page 1565 in the current
"Big Book". The previous page shows individual collets in the 5C size
(the ones which fit the blocks), which have hex or square holes to hold
workpieces of that shape. You have to step back to page 1562 to find
round collets, with differing prices for different grades of collets.
The "Import ones should suffice for this type of operation, at least.
The 7/16" one goes for $8.45, as do all of the other sizes in that
grade.

I hope to receive an MSC catalog soon. I think I received an e-mail
that the catalog was unavailable the first time I tried.(At least I
think it was MSC).

Thanks for the info on collets and collet blocks. I assume that there
is a solution for 360 divisions. I'll definitely need that option for
future projects.(One of which will include making gears).

A drawbar is a part of a milling machine, or a lathe fitted with
collets. You are unlikely to find them listed separately, and once you
have a lathe, you can make most styles as you need them.

Great. BTW.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2224
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2374

Or enough about indexing tools to figure out what exatly
I'd need to allow me to cut gears on my (specific)lathe.

An indexing head is more often used on a milling machine than a
lathe. Most are too big for your lathe, even in milling machine mode,
though some small ones could be adapted.

I'll have to search for the smallest one I can find and see what is
possible.

There are several styles. An alternative name to look under is
"dividing head".

Yes. In the Grizzly catalog I have there is one, and also indexing
rotary tables and chucks. BTW. There is a 3" rotary table(H6195) that
has a profile of 1.670".(But it doesn't index). :-(

One Ebayer("czodda") has been auctioning a lot of tooling, but can't
tell me the size of any of it.

I can tell you that the collets shown in that one auction are
*not* the 5C size which you would need -- and don't look to be in any
condition worth bidding on. There are actually two different sizes
there, and neither is of use to you at present.

That's good to hear.

The lot which is supposed to include a "Starrett micrometer"
does not appear to have one -- though I see an old Starrett "speed
indicator", which is no practical use to you.

I feel better that I didn't miss out on an opportunity so close by.

I could literally walk to this seller and pick up the stuff if I won
any of the auctions, but why bid on something that may not be
compatable with my machine? I don't know enough to know what I'm
looking at.

Having looked at his auctions -- I would say skip him. He
doesn't know what he's selling. He can't provide good enough photos for
you to tell (or even me). And, given his shipping charge, I'll bet that
he would not allow you to walk over and pick up what you "won".

Actually I asked and he said that he would actually prefer in-person
pick-ups.

Leave him to the old tool collectors, who seem to be his target
market.

He's located in "Little Italy". It's been some years but I should
explore that area again. I knew of a couple of machine shops as well as
a place that sold(and cut) scrap metals.(The seller probably work/s at
one of those places).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.