Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Default would you recommend 14" saws over 10" saws ?

Do not mount it backwards. We use blades from McMaster-Carr. Make sure
you get 'non-ferrous metal cutting blades'. They have a different grade
of carbide, and a different grind from normal carbide blades.
I also suggest a good vac, helps keep the mess down, and makes it easier
to clean up.
Use a good wax or light oil on the blade.

Thanks yet again!

I was "window shopping" today and noticed some very affordable 10" mitre
saws at Sears(Craftsman) and also Home Depot (Rigid & Ryobi). Would you
recommend the 14" ones over the smaller blade ones for any reason? All of
the models I looked at had 15 amp motors.

I wonder if the larger blades might last longer and therefore be worth the
extra investment both in a machine and the blade itself ?

I can see myself making maybe 50 to 100 cuts of the 8020 extrusions in the
near future. If I get to the point of making more then I would be willing to
invest in a more expensive saw if there is good compensation for the extra
expense. I would also very likely be using it for some moulding & trim work
now and then.

Thanks!
JCD