Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Smith

Default Boiler circuit board question

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Bob Smith
writes
Could it be the solenoid on the gas valve, or the ignition board?

Did I not mention earlier to measure the resistance of the solenoid ?

You're asking questions that people can only guess at without you
providing more information

OK, I measured across the 4 pins. 1 is not connected, but the resistance
between the other 3 pins is 0.86Kohm, 0.87Kohm and 1.73Kohm (I assume this
is across both in series).

So it looks like the solenoid's OK

Are there volts to the solenoid when there should be

... and what boiler ?

I've forgotten

It was a Ravenheat RSF82E. We were tyring to decide if it was the solenoid
not working, or the ignition board not telling it to work. The boiler was
failing to light up part way through the ignition sequence. I only just got
to borrow a multimeter.

Anyway, I took the ignition board off, and wrapped wires around the solenoid
prongs, and put the ignition board box back on (no other way to get to the
solenoid pins). I had the other end of the wires taped down, so I have no
idea why a relay rent bang, and blew a fuse (the multimeter was set to
volts, and there was no way of shorting the wires).

Bugger. Dead boiler. 1/2 an hour before LP supplies shuts (Ravenheat's
trade counter) so I nipped up the road (I live in Morley) and bought another
ignition board (and some odd sized fuses). I would have preferred to get
one off ebay for £35, but was forced to get one there and then.

I bunged it in, and for 2 days (it was an intermittent problem) the boiler
has been behaving.

Yay!

Bob