Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

Default metal cutoff saw blade is slightly canted - can adjust it ?

I just got a used abrasive cutoff saw from eBay. Works great except for one
small flaw - the blade seems to be slightly canted so I don't get a
perfectly square cut. I removed the blade and laid it flat on a level
floor
so I think the blade itself is ok. There also seems to be a small amount
of
wobble in it.

In my experience those blades are pretty flexible so it's not unusual to
have some flex that keeps your cut from being square. The faster you cut
the worse it shows so you might try a really slow cut to make sure that's
not what's happening. It's ESPECIALLY bad with anything other than a 90
degree cut because as the blade hits the metal it's forced to the side.

Also, if what you're cutting is something like thin-wall tubing the part
that's being cut off often has a tendancy to ride up as you get toward the
lower wall of the cut (unless it's heavy enough to droop instead) causing
the top of the cut end to press against the blade. Since the sides of the
blade are abrasive this causes the top edge of your piece to be ground down
some. (Did that makes sense? It's easy to show by example but difficult to
describe.) In this case the piece in the vise should have a fairly square
cut but the cutoff piece will be angled.

The label only the motor says "Chicago Electric".

That's Harbor Freight's "House" brand.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"