Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool Terms

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was actually already looking for Machinery's Handbook, so I hope to
get that soon.

I'm not looking to be a pain. But the reason for my question is because
I've spent the entire weekend in front of my pc in an attempt to cram
as much as possible, but I've found that all things aren't covered
anywhere near completely. They may be mentioned, but if you have never
used or seen one used(even if there is a picture of it) you wouldn't
always know where it goes, how it attaches, if it is compatible with
your machine, if it is the best tool of it's type for what you want to
do, ect.

After two days, I still can't find much info on "collet blocks" or
"draw bars". Or enough about indexing tools to figure out what exatly
I'd need to allow me to cut gears on my (specific)lathe.(Or what it
would look like for that matter). The last several hours I've been
researching Calipers and Indicators trying to figure out which ones are
best for determining the accuracy of a tube's I.D. and O.D. And then
taps are a whole other issue.

I'm not rich enough to start buying up stuff that sounds as though it
would work for me, and eBay auctions haven't helped a whole lot outside
of showing pictures of things that are hard to see anywhere else.

One Ebayer("czodda") has been auctioning a lot of tooling, but can't
tell me the size of any of it.

I could literally walk to this seller and pick up the stuff if I won
any of the auctions, but why bid on something that may not be
compatable with my machine? I don't know enough to know what I'm
looking at.

Anyway, thanks again.(Especially for listening). :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.