Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

Default GFCI tripping

wrote in message
oups.com...
When you say "some used the wrong neutral when" do you mean someone
might have used a neutral from a different circuit?

I didnt wire this light - it was here when we bought the house, so I
have no clue how its done.

If this is the case - how could I go about fixing it?

1) I can't guarantee that's the problem.

2) It's not important to GFCI a light circuit for a ceiling fixture.

3) If you think it's important, you likely will have to open up the
ceiling fixture box and the box where the switch is. You will have to
ensure that everything is wired as it should be. If you have a multimeter,
you can check for leakage paths and ensure that the neutrals and "hots" go
exactly where you expect.

Replacing all the outlets would be expensive up here in Canada (15
bucks a shot), and there are alot of outlets, so I would like to avoid
that if possible.

Maybe so.

But the other side of the coin is that if a GFCI "pops" because of the
downstream fault and you aren't home, your kids/wife/tenant/whatever may be
at a loss as to WTF happened.

Maybe in a compromise, you should just pull the fixture and see if there is
another circuit (don't forget that a switch loop will have a white wire
connected to a black wire at the fixture.

Finding the cause of ground fault tripping can sometimes tkae a lot of time.
It may come down to how much you value you time (including the time to do
the "mental work" on how to check the wires.

Thanks