Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Garage Door Springs

Daryl wrote:
I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

Assuming your door uses extension springs and not torsion springs.....

When I needed to buy a new pair of springs for one of our single width
hollow core wood doors I let down the remaining unbroken spring and
measured the weight of the door by lowering it onto a bathroom scale.

Then I went to Sears and bought a pair of springs rated closest to the
weight I'd measured.

Worked just fine, but I did need a bit of assistance from another guy to
be able to handle moving the door up and down when the springs were
disconnected.

Oh, and if you don't already have safety cables running through the
springs to keep them from flailing around if they break, do so PLEASE.
You can buy them at Sears and their paltry price is well worth their
safety value.

HTH,

Jeff

--