Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Corian fabrication

In article ,
Frank Boettcher wrote:

The breakthrough in solid surface I'm looking for is to be able to buy
it in countertop sizes for DIY use without having to go through the
liscencing process.

Those processes protect the customer and the manufacturer and the
fabricator/installer.
The license approach has come about after other systems didn't work.

There is a lot a fabricator has to know about the products. The
adhesives are not to be played with by amateurs, and any other adhesive
technology just won't do the job. Disposal of used tubes costs me quite
a bit of money each year.

I'm not trying to bootleg contract jobs and make the manufacturer
assume warranty for any lousy work I might do, I just would like to
make my own countertops. I'm willing to take responsibility and hold
the manufacturer harmless for any mistakes I make on my own tops.

They accept some responsibilities when they sell you the product. I
don't blame them for playing these cards close to their vests.

I wonder when that will come.

I hope never. Having said that, there are quite a few manufacturers who
will sell to anybody. The ones that matter, those who have the
reputation of quality, will never sell direct.
Imagine a company like mine promoting a product like Nairoc (Corian
spelled backwards) and customers going out getting their own after I put
my endorsement out there? How long do you think I will keep promoting
such a product? That same supplier will also look at the quantities I
order vs the one or two he can sell screwing my relationship with them?
It's a no-brainer.... on both sides of the fence.

Frank