Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default

Default Electric Shock ?

On 12 Feb 2006 05:16:31 -0800, wrote:

Hallo members, my Philips brand of DVD player have some kinds of
electric shock if you
touch the metal panel. I measure the leakage voltage is 125 volts but
the leakage current
is too small to kill a person. I 'm curious to know is this normal as
the power cord is two pin
and this also happen when it is a new set .Thanks
Regards

A DVD player that shocks normal? Categorically: not normal.

It is possible that some power line filter cap is leaking enough to
the chassis to cause something like that, but I find it hard to
believe Philips would allow that in a consumer item. They'd change
the design. That sort of thing is bad for business.

Reverse the plug in the socket and see if it goes away.

Don't ignore it. Make sure it is the DVD player and not the TV or HI
FI that's plugged into it that is causing the problem.

If it is the DVD player, or other component, you really can't just
hope it won't get worse - there may be some failing insulation and it
is just possible that some circumstance (high temperature, wet floor,
humidity, a different outlet, time, etc.) will make it lethal.

BTW you don't say what your line voltage is. If it is 220 and you get
~125 that lends some credence to it being a power line filter.

Treat it like it is lethal until you know how to fix it. If all else
fails, ground the sucker to a good ground. If you just bought it take
it back and get one that doesn't shock, or get a different brand.