Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Default Increasing Electricity into your home question

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:36:01 GMT, "Clif Holland"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:49:50 +0000, Clif Holland top-posted:

Irving, TX, where I live, just requires you have a permit and have it
pass
inspection. The inspector I dealt with told me he would help in any way
but would not pull wire. If I had a question he answered it. When I was
finished it was to code. He also told me of shortcuts to save money. When
I asked about brands of breakers he said he couldn't recommend any brand
BUT brand x would not trip as fast as brand y. (Drag test of a live wire
to ground, x would let the wire weld before opening. Y opened as soon as
it touched, my choice).

Sounds like a right neighborly fellow! :-) Was he charging by the hour?
;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Nope, once I paid for the permit he was the inspector, no additional charge.
As you can figure out a super nice guy.
The chap who inspected my last house when I re-wired it, noticed that
I had not installed a gasket where the overhead service stack (scepter
aka plastic conduit) connected to the meter box, provided the required
cork gasket and showed me how to instal it without pulling the wire
out - just unbolt the flange, break the gasket on one side and slide
it into place. Later he noted that I had grounded the copper drain
from the kitchen sink and commented that this was not required by code
but was such a good idea that he intended to do the same in his own
home so I paid him back for the gasket with the proper ground clamp
salvaged from work.
I never had any problem with inspectors even though they always knew
that I was not licensed, but had been working at the trade part time
since 1948. The city building inspector, on the other hand, just about
blew a fuse when he discovered my lack of license,however, the house
had been passed and the service connected. His only recouse was to
tell me not to wire any more houses in his territory, so we built the
next house in a neighbouring village. His main concern was that he
wanted to sell me a city business licence and couldn't do it without a
journeyman ticket.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada