Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool Terms

A recent discussion on tool posts has inspired me to ask if there
exists a dictionary of sorts for the various tools and accessories
associated with lathes and milling machines?

The couple of library books I've found so far haven't dealt with much
past the basics. And even the occasional mention of common items here
on the newsgroup rarely go into details because it is assume that all
those reading know exactly what the tool looks like and does.

I would like to be able to look up something like a "tailstock turret"
and find not only the basic description and it's purpose, but a picture
of what it looks like, how it's secured to the machine, reference to
the various types(shapes & materials), along with their pros and cons,
and any terms associated with their use.

In other words, somthing that'll teach me more than what I can get from
browsing catalogs.

If such a site or book exists, I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.