Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Increasing Electricity into your home question

According to sparty :
I'm not familiar with 1/0 or 2/0 wire.

That's where you wind up after going through the normal wire
gauge sizes -- from say 22 or 18 ga (zip cord), 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
and 2, you then hit 0 (which is also called 1/0), then 2/0, 3/0, and
4/0. That last size is about the diameter of my middle finger,
exclusive of the insulation. There are smaller and larger wires, but
these are the ones which I have worked with.

Suffice it to say that 2/0 is capable of carrying eight to
sixteen times the current of the wire sizes which you mentioned in the
part which I trimmed below.

I guess that is just a thick
copper wire shielded.

You mean "insulated"? Shielded requires a layer of insulation
one or more layers of electrical braid or foil, and another layer of
insulation, and shielding is uncommon on power wiring -- more for low
level signal wiring to keep electrical noise out.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564