DejaVU

Default stopping a diesel

Greg O scribed in
:

Some diesels have a normally open fuel solenoid in the injection
pump. You need to apply power to the solenoids to stop the flow of

[]
engine does not need any electrical power to run, once it is
running it will go 'till it runs out of fuel or is intentionally
shut down. It increases the dependability somewhat by not needing
power to run Greg

this is, to me, a hazard. I ran turbocharged diesel alternators in
the army. 50kw 3 phase 230 volts. one of them had lostit's
electronic control panel before I arrived, and the starting method
was to tie the fuel solenoid up with some wire, then bridge the
terminals on the starter with the cap from an antitank mine. started
up everytime.
but
when the service chappy put the wrong oil in it and it overheated, it
could not turn itself off. the person who came to call me refused to
go near it because it was so hot the paint was peeling off the block.
I had to go up to it and remove the wire, just a tug on the slip knot
and it died, no problem.
the turbo was never the same after that.....but within weeks I was
posted elsewhere so it didn't matter to me. service chappy just
waited for it to cool down and changed the oil for the right stuff.

the 50kva unit ran the walk in fridge for the kitchen during the day,
with a 15kva run at night for essential services like radios.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /