Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default Increasing Electricity into your home question

"ATP*" wrote in message

"sparty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 150amp panel in my home, which is decently full, but probably
has space for about another 70amps worth of breakers, but only about 4
spots left.

I HAD planned on running a 70 amp breaker, and then 4 gauge wire to my
garage to a new breaker panel. That will probably max out my panel in
my house. I've done all of the math, and I'm pretty sure it can handle
that.

One of the reasons I am doing this is to run some 230V tools in my
garage. Now recently, I may have come across the opportunity to get a
used cheap Millermatic 250 Welder, which is going to pull 44-45 amps vs
the original 20 amps, I was going to pull with a smaller Welder. This
welder all by itself would require a 60 or 70 amp breaker. So now, I
would like to run 100 amps to my garage instead.

Because of this, I'm thinking I need to increase my House Panel from
150amps to 200amps. What all is involved in this? Does the electrical
company usually do this for free?

Service upgrades don't cost anything here unless you go underground. The
utility doesn't always change the drop anyway. Electricians like to be
paid, however. The electrician has to do everything beyond the service
drop from the pole.

Depends on where you live. In North Carolina the property owner can do
their own electrical work. Still has to be permitted, inspected and meet
code but an electrician isn't required.

Steve.
Who is currently installing a 200A panel and all the wiring in my new shop.