Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default When (if ever) can 14ga wire be used with 20A circuit breaker?

Toller wrote:

If your adding the #14 yourself no must be #12.

Open your electric water heater some day, you will have at least #10
feeding
#12.
It is inside a UL listed and labeled appliance, there for ok doky.

Yeah, I noticed mine is. I presumed that was because the #12 wires are THHN
and between two things rated for higher temperatures. No?
Still, it seemed like a foolish place to save $0.02.

If the wires melt and burn within the water heater housing, what is the
end result?

--
Thank you,