Posted to alt.home.repair
kalanamak

Default Basic hot water heater question

RichK wrote:

Find a new guy. KWH used cost the same regardless of volts.

I was pretty sure of this....

This BR is odd. It wasn't really a bathroom, just a place where there
was a jacuzzi from 1979, which was wired very oddly by the builders of
the house (the house is odd, because the builder was a contractor who
made it for his own family using scraps from other jobs.....it was a
real deal and lots of land in a place where house prices have shot up,
so I don't regret the buy). My "guy", who is usually a terrific whizz at
fixing anything, roofleaks, cracked foundations, etc, says it is a very
odd set up, and it is waaaaaaaaaaay at the end of the house far from the
fuse box, the hot water heater, everything (off in its own room) and
that making big changes is too big a job (and indeed, we have other
pressing issues with the house...we flooded this winter AFTER starting
to replace this tub). It was my idea to put a tank in the area where the
jacuzzi pump was to avoid that long long draw of cold water to get the
warm to start (this room has only the tub and a bidet (which my "guy"
put in), and MAN that water is cold). I smell some foot-dragging because
it was my idea, but I'm gathering data and will let the dust settle and
try again.

As for finding a new guy, this will probably happen in 11-14 years, but
for now finding a new one would break his 3 year old's heart, because
his three year old is my three year old. (Humor mode) It is the old
story of the recently divorced woman with big house asking recently
divorced carpenter doing repairs if he'd like to be a father again.
It is an unusual situation, but the child is thriving.
Thanks all.