Posted to alt.home.repair
kalanamak

Default Basic hot water heater question

I haven't been able to google this correctly....all inquires bring me
back ooodles on tankless heaters.

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).
2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e.
it costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how
a 110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Anyone with answers to either of above?
TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"kalanamak" wrote in message
I haven't been able to google this correctly....all inquires bring me back
ooodles on tankless heaters.

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).
2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e. it
costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how a
110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Anyone with answers to either of above?
TIA

It really won't cost more. You pay for watts of electricity used, not volts
or amps.
There are small (maybe 5 or 6 gallon) water heaters that are designed to run
on 110 volts. To heat up 40 gallons would take a very long time. We have a
couple of the small units at work. They are very adequate for hand washing
or a sink in the breakroom, but not for taking a shower. Ours are
InSinkErator brand.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and see some on page 465 of the catalog. they have
them up to 19 gallons. Note that all are 1500 watts so the bigger, the more
time needed to heat.

The problem with a large capacity tank is one of power needs. If you can't
run a 220 line, you probably can't run a big enough 110 line to handle the
power needed to heat that much water, if they even make a tank that size.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"kalanamak" wrote in message

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).

Find a new guy. If you can run 110, you can also run 220. May cost money.
A 40 gal tank would take forever to heatup with 110V, 20A supply. May be
impractical. Smaller tank may be.

2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e.
it costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how
a 110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Find a new guy. KWH used cost the same regardless of volts.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
kalanamak

RichK wrote:

Find a new guy. KWH used cost the same regardless of volts.

I was pretty sure of this....

This BR is odd. It wasn't really a bathroom, just a place where there
was a jacuzzi from 1979, which was wired very oddly by the builders of
the house (the house is odd, because the builder was a contractor who
made it for his own family using scraps from other jobs.....it was a
real deal and lots of land in a place where house prices have shot up,
so I don't regret the buy). My "guy", who is usually a terrific whizz at
fixing anything, roofleaks, cracked foundations, etc, says it is a very
odd set up, and it is waaaaaaaaaaay at the end of the house far from the
fuse box, the hot water heater, everything (off in its own room) and
that making big changes is too big a job (and indeed, we have other
pressing issues with the house...we flooded this winter AFTER starting
to replace this tub). It was my idea to put a tank in the area where the
jacuzzi pump was to avoid that long long draw of cold water to get the
warm to start (this room has only the tub and a bidet (which my "guy"
put in), and MAN that water is cold). I smell some foot-dragging because
it was my idea, but I'm gathering data and will let the dust settle and
try again.

As for finding a new guy, this will probably happen in 11-14 years, but
for now finding a new one would break his 3 year old's heart, because
his three year old is my three year old. (Humor mode) It is the old
story of the recently divorced woman with big house asking recently
divorced carpenter doing repairs if he'd like to be a father again.
It is an unusual situation, but the child is thriving.
Thanks all.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Either heater will require a dedicated circuit. If you have a dedicated
circuit that is 120 volt, and it is a two wire circuit, there is no reason
it couldn't be converted to 240 volt. Standard electric water heaters do
require a 30 amp 240 volt line to operate and any full size tank with a
smaller heating element would have a very slow recovery

"kalanamak" wrote in message
I haven't been able to google this correctly....all inquires bring me back
ooodles on tankless heaters.

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).
2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e. it
costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how a
110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Anyone with answers to either of above?
TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Either heater will require a dedicated circuit. If you have a dedicated
circuit that is 120 volt, and it is a two wire circuit, there is no reason
it couldn't be converted to 240 volt.

The 110V models draw 12.5 A. If it is a 20A circuit in a powder room, you
can get away with a light or two as 16A load is allowable. No hair dryers
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Technically, using 240V will use a little bit less energy and be a
little more cost effective. However, the diff is so small that it's
not worth worrying about. The difference is in the amount of energy
lost due to resistance in the wire going from the panel to the heater.
The loss is I^^2*R. So, by using 240V, you reduce the current through
the wire by half and the power loss in the wire by a factor of 4.
However, it's still so small that it doesn't amount to much.

Assuming you use the same current on 240V as you do on 120V, the heater
will have twice the heating capacity.