Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Basic hot water heater question

Either heater will require a dedicated circuit. If you have a dedicated
circuit that is 120 volt, and it is a two wire circuit, there is no reason
it couldn't be converted to 240 volt. Standard electric water heaters do
require a 30 amp 240 volt line to operate and any full size tank with a
smaller heating element would have a very slow recovery

"kalanamak" wrote in message
I haven't been able to google this correctly....all inquires bring me back
ooodles on tankless heaters.

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).
2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e. it
costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how a
110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Anyone with answers to either of above?
TIA