Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Basic hot water heater question

"kalanamak" wrote in message
I haven't been able to google this correctly....all inquires bring me back
ooodles on tankless heaters.

1) If I can't run a 220 line to where I'd like to put an auxillary tank
heater (and my "guy" says I can't), are there 110 hot water heaters? (My
"guy" says there are, but I don't see any for sale on google or froogle).
2) My "guy" says that 110 tanks would 'eat up' more electricity, i.e. it
costs more to heat up 40 gallons via 110 than with 220. I can see how a
110 line would be *slower* in heating up a tank, but require more
electricity I am not able to wrap my mind around.

Anyone with answers to either of above?
TIA

It really won't cost more. You pay for watts of electricity used, not volts
or amps.
There are small (maybe 5 or 6 gallon) water heaters that are designed to run
on 110 volts. To heat up 40 gallons would take a very long time. We have a
couple of the small units at work. They are very adequate for hand washing
or a sink in the breakroom, but not for taking a shower. Ours are
InSinkErator brand.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and see some on page 465 of the catalog. they have
them up to 19 gallons. Note that all are 1500 watts so the bigger, the more
time needed to heat.

The problem with a large capacity tank is one of power needs. If you can't
run a 220 line, you probably can't run a big enough 110 line to handle the
power needed to heat that much water, if they even make a tank that size.