Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Lathe Bench Base Configurations Question

I guess my bias towards solid wood furniture and
traditional joinery got me going towars draw pegged
mortise and tenons in beefy stock (4x4s) and floating
panels. The idea of bolting things together just sort
of creeps me out.

But the idea of 2x4s and half inch ply "torsion box"
construction for the ends has a great deal of merit.
I can extend the outside ply over the outside edges
of the 4x4s at the top and bottom and through peg
them together I need the 4x4 as the foot and extended
beyond the ply front and back to permit using the
leg levelers with the allen head on the top of the
"bolt" so they can be adjusted from above with an
allen wrench. Worked great on my woodworking
bench and, since there was a minimum order
requirement when I bought them, I have an extra
set of 4.

Still want to use through tenons on the stretchers-
my bias.

If I go with the ply torsion box, I WILL have to
edge band the ply where it'd be visible. The
edges of baltic birch 7 ply isn't all that hard
on the eye, but solid wood would just look nicer.
Hmmm - padouk edge banding might be nice,
maybe with a couple of inlayed strings - of
silver perhaps. And ball and claw feet - that'd
be interesting, as would a shell carving in the
middle of the bottom stretcher. And half fluted
columns on the front "legs" - that's the ticket.
Perhaps a hidden drawer, with a hidden magnet
actuated locking mechanism. A french polish
to finish things off nicely.

(K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid - is one of
my woodworking goals - so far not attained)

charlie b