Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lathe Bench Base Configurations Question

Hi Charlie

I have one of those midi minis Delta midi, just to be able to take it
along and turn mini stuff.
Rotational forces on those gutless little motors are not present, or I
should say disregard that, and you know that if you take off on a bike
the front wheel wants to come up not the back, anyway the biggest
problem I think especially on the variable speed motor is heat and
burning out the motor, fans run slow while turning larger chunks
usually, so try to keep the bench open under your motor, to have more
ventilation but also to keep the wood chips from collecting there.
I would make it a what you call a delta design and use 2 runs of 2x
something on top with the opening in between, and then 4 legs down and
out, cover with some ply or oriented strand board.
Well I don't have to tell you how, saw your flat work bench, if you run
out of space, I will gladly store all my stuff on it, here in my shop
G.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum12.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo