Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Default Roll-in vs. DoAll 16" ML band saws

I'd be more interested in your impressions on the Rollin vs. the Doall as
vertical band saws.

My DoAll is horizontal only. 1" blade - total bitch to change. But its a
REAL FAST saw. Great for repetitive cuts in large stock.

Do you find yourself switching from 3/4 to 1/2 blades at all, say, for
curvy-er work?

I change blades constantly on the roll-in. Only takes a second. 1/4,1/2, and
3/4. Plus fine tooth 3/4 for thin stock. One of its big advantages.

How do the prices sound?

I dunno. I stole mine at auction - $400

Why a peristaltic pump instead of a mini-giant centrifugal?

That would work, but you'll need a drip pan and have coolant all over you
whenever you cut a piece by hand. Close to half my cuts are in this
category. I set my pump to just barely give a constant stream like if you'd
squeeze a squirt bottle. Coolant certainly helps, but you don't need to
flood the heck out of it, not that much heat.

Karl