Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Roll-in vs. DoAll 16" ML band saws

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message news.com...
I have both a 12" DoAll like you describe and a roll-in unit. The roll-in
is EXTERMELY handy. You won't know how you lived without it. Especially
sence you already have a heavy duty saw. The only downside of the roll-in
is that it cuts much slower than a horizontal saw. Normally not an issue
for me, as I find something else to do while the saw works.

Well, since I already have the Kalamazoo, I wouldn't care that the Roll-in
cuts slower.
I'd be more interested in your impressions on the Rollin vs. the Doall as
vertical band saws.
Do you find yourself switching from 3/4 to 1/2 blades at all, say, for
curvy-er work?

How do the prices sound?

These saws don't come with coolant. I added a small perestallic pump to
squirt coolant - no drip pan. Makes the blades last much longer.

Why a peristaltic pump instead of a mini-giant centrifugal?

And, I always wondered about coolant on a band saw blade, since they don't
seem to get at all hot to begin with, even right at the cut--except for
mebbe SS. With my little Shaviv deburring tool, I can see whiffs of smoke
when deburring stainless!!
But, the Kalamazoo goes through some lengths to get plenty of coolant to the
blade (1" x 130.5"), so it must be important. Would like to kluge up a
coolant ditty/sump on my 4x6, as well.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll