Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper

Default Timex watch alarm quits after battery change

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote in
:

AZ Nomad wrote:

The watchback contains the alarm piezo unit and connection to it is
made by the watch's ground and a little spring stuck in the watch
module.

You've obviously lost that little spring.

I read several comments here about the spring and the
contacts to the piezo buzzer. I agree that could be the
problem, but I've had this exact problem (no buzzer, but
watch otherwise works perfectly) with several Timex models
and I've always been extremely careful to assemble them
exactly the same way I took them apart, and be sure the
spring is correctly in place.

I changed my watch battery yesterday, and was wondering about why the
alarm started working when I put the cover back on. That explains a
lot.

Every time I've had the
problem, careful reassembly has not been enough, and I've
never lost the spring. As far as I can tell, resetting has
always been the solution, not reassembly. Now when I change
the battery, I squeeze the watch together and test the
alarm. If it fails, I reset, squeeze it together again and
retest until it works, then do a final reassembly. Once I
get the watch alarm working, it always seems to work after
the final reassembly.

My watch, a cheapie made by Advance has the spring soldered to the PC
board of the watch. You can't lose what isn't loose...

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.