Jim Stewart

Default stopping a diesel

Bill Janssen wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

And lo, it came about, that on Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:00:54 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking , "Bart D. Hull" was inspired to
utter:

Yea, a diesel over-revving its brains is truely a frightening occasion.
The GM's (lots of Oldmobile diesels.) did this so often it was amazing.
What's really amazing is that GM never got sued for it.

I'm surprised the motor didn't hydraulic when the service manager dumped
the antifreeze water mixture. That's why we used the Halon and had a second
bottle ready if the first didn't stop the motor completely.

Long rags, don't forget the long rags. Normal shop towels could be sucked under
a valve and demolish the motor as well.

As you can tell, we had a "system" for this issue.

What this tells me is that it occurred often enough for a "most effective
way" to be discovered. :-)

--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,

When I was in the Navy (about 50 years back) we kept a canvas bag
near the air filter to stop the engine in case of a run away.

I'm glad it worked in the Navy. When I was in the Army,
I heard of a runaway deuce and a half engine. The mechanic
took off his field jacket and threw it over the intake.
The engine ate the jacket buttons, zipper and all.