timleech

Default stopping a diesel

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:25:12 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Diesels do not have any air controls. Power level of the engine is
determined by the amount of fuel entering the engine. The governors of

these
engines have a throttle control and a fuel cutoff lever. The cutoff lever
can be electric or manual, your choice. Many engine manufacturers have
emergency air shutoff valves as an option, which are very important.

Diesels
will run quite happily on their own lube oil. I would not own a diesel
without one. A runaway is a virtual bomb.
Steve

My old Fordson Major tractor has a throttle plate which controls the air
flow. To turn it off you pull a lever and it floods the engine to shut it
off. To start it you also pull the same lever out and let go of the lever
and crank it until it starts. When it starts the lever goes in on it's own.
I have never seen anything like it before. Also if you ether start it you
will blow a head gasket. The tractor was built in Feb. 1957. There is no
glow plugs on it, you just crank it until it starts.

Pneumatic governor.
Your 'throttle plate' will be a butterfly valve with a hole in one
side, & a venturi tube through the hole. There's a diaphragm on the
end of the fuel pump rack which senses the pressure drop in the
venturi tube, & adjusts the fuel supply accordingly. Works well until
the diaphragm gets a hole in it G
The start/stop arrangement is probably set so that pulling out the
stop & resetting it lifts the 'excess fuel' stop for easier cold
starting.

Diesels won't generally run away on their own lube oil unless there's
far too much oil - maybe because there's been fuel leakage into the
sump.
2-stroke engines (eg GM) are much more likely to run away than
4-strokes, IMO.

Cheers
Tim

Tim Leech