Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

Default Septic Tank fills with rain?

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:23:34 -0800, A Veteran for Peace
wrote:

boy did it rain! and we think judgeing from the water on top of the
ground over the drain field , that the the tank filled with rain water.
Is this terribly bad, what can one do?

It's not the septic tank that fills up. It's always full. The rain
water saturates the leach field. When that happens, water flowing
into the septic can't drain into the ground because the ground can't
take any more water. You need to keep the rain water away from the
leach field. I.E. don't let it flood the area. Provide good drainage
so you never have pooling over the leach field.