Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lenny

Default My attempt at an Oland tool

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:38:34 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Thanks Lenny, the picture makes more sense now. I use a lighter shaft, 1/2",
on the 3/16" tools and a 5/8" shaft on the 1/4". I think it lets me get a
bit closer for cuts inside a bowl. The first thing I do for an edge is to
use a rough grind stone to give a 45* angle and then use the fine stone to
refine the edge and round it a touch. I use jigs for the latter but free
hand is not hard.

To be honest, I had planned for this one to get the 1/4" bit but I was
so anxious to try it out that once I got it drilled enough that the
3/16" bit would fit I stopped. I do have a 5/8" shaft waiting in the
wings. When I get another chance perhaps I'll prepare that one for the
smaller bit and redrill this one for the 1/4".

Lenny
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/Work