Jim Wilson

Default Brown & Sharpe surface grinder info

Fdmorrison wrote...
Then for occasional use why isn't a manual or mechanically automatic
long feed the better route to go--especially when there's a known
problem with the hydraulics of the offered machine? Just a moot
thought.

No, it's a reasonable thought, but I'm somewhat limited by a tight budget
and by what is available nearby. I'd prefer an automatic because when I
do need it, which is every couple months, I have 20-30 hours worth of
grinding to do.

It shows sn's for machine #510 (sn range 523-510-213 to last number
663 for the year 1962; machine # 618 Micromaster (range 523-6181-198
to last number 1349, again for year 1962); and machine # 1030 Micro
Hyd. (range 523-1030-161 and 162 for 1961 and 1962)--so three
different machines, all just coming into production in the late
'50s/early '60s.

It doesn't list any 818's? Ok. I received a message off list from another
guy who had a B&S SN book, which didn't list 818's also. I will double-
check the SN tomorrow; maybe I copied it down wrong.

Speaking of automatics, the guy said that this machine was automatic
only in X. Is this a common configuration?

Yes, or manual, for early grinders.

Ok, thanks.

As to way lubrication, there's lots of home brew, but hydraulic oil's for
hydraulics, not for maintaining iron ways.

My first thought, too, but it's original equipment. There's a tag on the
side that says something about hydraulic and way oil, but I didn't pay
enough attention to it. Another thing to follow up on.

It sounds like the seller was not the original owner, and (guess)
inhereted the leak. And sounds like his machine maintenance may
be suspect.

As to the first, good guess. As to the second, dunno. He's certainly not
in to restoring old equipment; his shop is chock full of nice new stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim