Steve Lusardi

Default stopping a diesel

Diesels do not have any air controls. Power level of the engine is
determined by the amount of fuel entering the engine. The governors of these
engines have a throttle control and a fuel cutoff lever. The cutoff lever
can be electric or manual, your choice. Many engine manufacturers have
emergency air shutoff valves as an option, which are very important. Diesels
will run quite happily on their own lube oil. I would not own a diesel
without one. A runaway is a virtual bomb.
Steve
"Engineman1" wrote in message
A friend just bought a yacth with twin Hino diesels. They are started by a

key
switch but when they you want to shut them off you have to press a stop

button
until the engines quit, then turn the keys off. I don't have much

experience
with diesels but years ago when I had a job repairing forklifts I ran into

similar situation.
This seems to me to be unecesaralary complicated. After all, most diesel
powered cars turn on and off with a key switch. I have asked many people

this
question but have gotten answers that didn,t seem plausible. So now I'm

asking
the experts.
Thoughts?
Engineman1